• 17 DEC 05
    • 0

    Mobile phone mast is felled in U.K.


    Mobile phone mast is felled

    Dec 16, 2005
    An 80ft phone mast has been chopped down by
    “professional” saboteurs in the middle of the night,
    causing damage running into thousands.

    Specialist cutting equipment was used to topple the
    mast – as high as three double-decker buses – which
    narrowly missed a road as it collapsed.

    Phone giant Orange, which was planning to use the mast
    near Sedgley, said it was lucky no one was injured as
    the metal structure crashed down.

    It was the second attack on the former NTL mast, now
    owned by Arqiva. An arson attack caused £150,000
    damage in 2003.

    Residents in Gospel End, on the Dudley-Staffordshire
    border, had battled to stop the mast going up in 2001
    without success.

    Orange had been planning to use it but as it had been
    out of action since the arson attack its demolition
    will not affect phone users.

    Arqiva’s Bruce Randle was in no doubt that the mast
    had been brought down deliberately. Mr Randle said it
    would not have taken people who knew what they were
    doing long to fell the mast.

    He said:”It has been chopped down basically, someone
    has cut the four corners and felled it.

    “I think it has been done very deliberately and very
    professionally by someone who knew what they were

    “They must have had the right tools and must have
    known where to cut – you cannot bring down one of
    these things with a hacksaw.

    “Fortunately no-one was hurt and no services have been

    Orange spokeswoman Sue Hammett said the company had
    been aiming to get the network live before the latest

    She added:”We do understand that people may have
    concerns about mobile phone masts and the perception
    of risk to health.

    “However we wish to reiterate that any concerns should
    be directed via the appropriate channels and not
    through direct action.”

    Ward councillor Michael Evans said feelings were still
    running high in the area after a proposal to extend
    the mast by 3ft was pushed through this year despite
    further objections from residents.

    Police in South Staffordshire are investigating.

    Anyone with any information is urged to call 08453

    Leave a reply →