Here’s some good news for theTelcos spin factories: “No brain cancer link to mobile phones, study says” Watch the spinning of media articles coming out proclaiming the old ‘mobiles proven safe’ line. More justification for Motorola’s call to end all future research.
Note however, that Swerdlow is not saying there is no risk, just no “substantial risk in the first decade after starting use”. This is not new news as it is generally accepted that it would take at least 10 years for a statistically detectible risk to appear – if there is a risk. And what about that other study that found a connection with acoustic neuroma after 10 years of cell phone use?
What about what the Russian and Chinese RF scientists who see the risk of a whole range of possible neurological effects from prolonged cell phone use?
Note what Swerdlow et al said in December of 2004*:
“Despite the ubiquity of new technologies using RF’s, little is known about population exposures from RF sources and even less about the relative importance of different sources. Other cautions are that mobile phone studies to date have been able to address only relatively short lag periods, that almost no data are available on the consequences of childhood exposure, and that published data largely concentrate on a small number of outcomes, especially brain tumor and leukemia.”
* Ahlbom A, Green A, Kfeifets L, Savitz D, Swerdlow A, Epidemiology of Health Effects of Radiofrequency Exposure, Env. Health Pers. Vol. 112, NO. 17, Dec. 2004
This study is just another footnote in a long history of studies that have failed to give any real answers to the urgent question. What will be the effects on their mental wellbeing for the millions of children using mobile phones in 10-15 -20 years of use?
No brain cancer link to mobile phones, study says
30 Aug 2005 16:59:21 GMT
LONDON, Aug 30 (Reuters) – Ten years of using a mobile phone results in no increased risk of a tumour in the nerve connecting the ear to the brain, researchers said on Tuesday.
But amid public concern about a possible link, the scientists who conducted the largest study so far on the subject said they could not rule out a higher risk over a longer period.
“The results of our study suggest there is no substantial risk in the first decade after starting use,” said Anthony Swerdlow of the Institute of Cancer Research.
“Whether there are longer-term risks remains unknown, reflecting the fact that this is a relatively recent technology.”
The study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, focused on the risk of acoustic neuroma, benign tumours which grow in the nerve connecting the ear and inner ear to the brain, close to where handsets are held.
Research has also investigated the possible association of other kinds of brain tumour with mobile phones but scientists say acoustic neuroma would be a prime candidate to be affected.
Previous independent studies have found mobile phone radiation may have some effect on the human body, such as heating up the brain and causing headaches and nausea.
But no study that could be independently repeated has proved mobile phones have permanent harmful effects and the mobile phone industry argues there is no conclusive evidence that electromagnetic radiation causes harm.
About 780 million mobile phones are expected to be sold this year, and nearly 2 billion people around the world use one.
The institute’s analysis pooled studies conducted in Britain, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden — all countries where mobile phones were introduced early.
Cancer charities welcomed the findings.
“However, it’s important researchers continue to monitor phone users over coming years as mobiles are still a relatively new invention,” said Cancer Research UK’s Julie Sharp. (Additional reporting by Tarmo Virki and Lucas van Grinsven)Leave a reply →