Council rejects Telstra phone tower plan
11:49 AM May 24
A proposal by Telstra to build a mobile phone tower on the western side of Lake Macquarie has been rejected by council, after residents revealed its visual impact had been significantly under-estimated.
Councillors last night rejected the 30 metre high tower at Teralba after a long campaign by residents, who conducted their own experiments to determine its impact on local homes.
Lake Macquarie Mayor Greg Piper says council surveyors have confirmed that Telstra’s original application to council had misrepresented the impact of the tower by about a third.
“It’s certainly a significant departure and I don’t believe it’s reasonable for a company the size of Telstra to be so far from the mark in representing visual impact,” he said.
“That worked greatly against them and the issue of visual amenity is not to be put lightly aside.”
Source: ABC (Supplied by Tower Sanity Alliance in Sydney)Leave a reply →